Monday, September 29, 2008

Overly-anxious Ovations

So, once upon a time standing ovations used to mean something. But apparently in Utah, they mean nothing anymore. I majored in Theatre in college, so--yeah--I know what goes into the creation of a play. But just because it's a lot of hard work to put together a play, doesn't mean that every performance deserves a standing ovation. Standing ovations are supposed to be rare. That's why they mean so much--because they're supposed to be difficult to obtain. But in Utah, audiences treat standing ovations like they're the norm. Utahans stand up for everything!!

I recently saw "My Fair Lady" at the Pioneer Memorial Theatre in Salt Lake City. It was a good show--not a great show, a good show. I laughed. I enjoyed myself. But I was disappointed in how low-key the emotions were played. I kept wanting Professor Higgins and Eliza Doolittle to really get mad at each other. But the heightened emotions just weren't coming across to where I was in the balcony. And I found myself focusing more on the incredible sets and costumes than the acting. In my mind, that doesn't add up to a standing-ovation-quality performance. So, while everyone else in the auditorium jumped to their feet in applause, I calmly remained in my seat.

Does this make me a "standing-ovation-snob"? Maybe. I just think that, as a performer myself, people would rather have a standing ovation that means something. Now, when my middle school students perform their school play, I will be the very first person on my feet giving them a standing ovation. Because at that tender developmental age, they need that kind of reinforcement and encouragement. But when I go to a professional performance, I want the actors to do their job and earn my standing-O. And as an actor, I want to know that the audience is smart enough to know the value of a standing-O, so that I can actually put some worth to the receiving of one.

So, okay, people: be brave! Don't give in to peer pressure! Just because everyone around you stands up, doesn't mean you have to. If the show was spectacular, then by all means stand up. But if it was just good (but not great) then calmly applaud while remaining in your seat. You can do it! Let's put some value back into a standing ovation.

2 comments:

Dawnzer said...

I totally agree. Standing for everything cheapens the efforts. Although as you say, if your kids are in the play; you stand and scream like crazy. I love your new blog, keep it up. Dawn

Brittany Marie said...

No, standing ovations in UT are expected, and not necessarily deserved.

I think because, for some reason, we are under the impression that if it's on a stage, it's GREAT.